Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
At BioSymetrics our mission is to develop leading Machine Learning technology to serve customers and corporate partners in healthcare, life sciences, biopharmaceutical, diagnostics, and precision medicine industries. Our team, which has grown steadily since founding in 2015, is based in New York, Boston, and Toronto. Our solutions and services are focused on the analytics of complex biomedical data, and the development of platform technologies for advanced, large-scale integrated and predictive analytics.
Opportunity: We are seeking a Data Engineer to join our Toronto team. This technology position is primarily responsible for helping us develop a distributed data framework capable of accommodating a wide variety of data types and a growing user base looking to perform data-intensive machine learning applications.
Successful candidates will have a proven track record of success within entrepreneurial startup and technology environments and be familiar with machine learning methods. We are looking for an intelligent, team-oriented, and creative individual who is comfortable in the world of technology and data science, and wants to take part in developing our capabilities and market leadership in biomedical and healthcare AI.
Our company is made up of talented people who believe in teamwork and making a difference. Since our founding, we have developed and launched Augusta™, which is a machine learning and predictive modeling platform for massive and complex data in biomedicine. We have deployed this technology with clients in healthcare, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology sectors.
Roles and Primary Responsibilities
- Building a customized Hadoop-based infrastructure.
- Building cutting-edge capacity in the machine learning space
- Working with clients and collaborators on projects, case studies, and pilot applications or use cases
- Preparing reports and documentation to communicate outcomes and evaluate software capabilities
- Enhancing the speed of existing preprocessing modules using GPUs.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Expert in ‘big data’ systems and infrastructure including Apache Spark, Hadoop, and distributed file systems
- Experience developing Big Data/Hadoop applications using Spark, Hive, Kafka, or Map Reduce
- Advanced skills in Python and Scala (or Java)
- Familiarity with biological data types (genomics, proteomics, medical imaging) a plus
- Familiarity with tools, concepts and methodologies of analytics and machine learning
- Strong communication skills, attention to detail
- Skills in multi-tasking or prioritizing and triaging obligations in an Agile framework
- Excellent time management and organization
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Possess the ability to work both independently and within a team
- Masters degree (PhD preferred) and 3 or more years prior work experience
We invite you to join us in building our company, and team. We offer great perks and benefits for our staff, including:
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Engaging and productive team culture
- Focused, collegial, hard-working and talented co-workers
Please send your cover letter and resume to babak@BioSymetrics.com